Friday, September 17, 2010

happy half-birthday, baby boy!

My baby is 6 months old today! (and not even 4 months adjusted yet - he's 3.5 months adjusted, wow!) 6 months ago I was told that my pre-eclampsia had turned to HELLP syndrome and I would have to deliver my son 10.5 weeks early for the sake of my own health. His early birth started a medical rollercoaster (for him, at least temporarily) and an emotional rollercoaster for our family, but look at how far he has come! Isn't he amazing!?

From 2 lbs, 10 ounces & 15 inches long...
Photobucket

....to 17 lbs & 26 inches long. Look at my happy, beautiful half-birthday boy!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Oh man, the cheeks!
Photobucket

A little half-naked baby comparison shot might be fun, too...so...

This was taken the day after we brought Kieran home from the hospital (so he weighed about 5 lbs)


And this was last night - super chub!
Photobucket

I don't know if it's genetics or breastmilk to thank for making my formerly tiny little guy chub up SUPER quickly (averaging 3/4 pounds a week, just like Maia!) but I am SO thankful he did! Actually, I'm going to go with the breastfeeding for most of it. I have the fattiest looking milk I have ever seen - more like cream! I love his double chin, huge tummy, chubby thighs...all of it is so wonderful to behold because I remember exactly what it was like to kangaroo care that tiny less-than-3-pounds baby boy on the day he was born. I will never forget how he had literally no fat on his little body - and now it's everywhere! And wow, soon we'll be starting solids. Okay, well, not THAT soon, not until he's 6 months adjusted (which just so happens to be Thanksgiving.) But still...it's coming up quickly!

So, here's to another exciting, fun-filled 6 months - hopefully these next few go by slower, but I doubt they will!

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!!! I cant get over the home from hospital picture to the one from last night. yay for breastmilk :]!! he is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Ashley- you'd never know that's the same baby!

    Where is he at with developmental milestones? Closer to the adjusted age or the actual age?

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems like he's right in the middle. according to this milestone chart he's hit most of the 4 month ones and a few of the 5 month ones as well. since he's "supposed" to be 3.5 months, i think he's doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the comparison pictures. Amazing that little boy is! Woohoo! I am sad as Nora gets to be almost 5 months. Too fast! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The world is amazing isn't it. Congratulations mom and baby K!

    ReplyDelete